- 1kg ox cheeks, trimmed of fat and sinew and cut into 80g pieces
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 Bay leaves
- 500ml Red wine
- 2 Seville Oranges, juice and zest
- 600ml beef stock
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 25g unsalted butter
1. Place the cheeks in a plastic or stainless steel container. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, red wine, the juice and zest of the oranges. Leave to marinate overnight.
2. Drain the cheeks in a colander, reserving the liquid. Separate the vegetables from the meat. Pour the liquid into a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce by half, skimming off the white froth.
3. Dry the cheeks on a paper towel, season and brown in a pan with the oil.
4. In a large oven-proof pan, caramelise the vegetables over a low heat.
5. Add the meat to the vegetables, pour over the reduced liquid and the stock, bring to the boil, cover with baking parchment and a lid, cook in the oven at 180C/gas 4 for 3 hours. Test to see if it is cooked with a skewer.
6. Remove the meat and place in a pan. Strain 400ml of the cooking liquid over the cheeks and bring to the boil, continuously spooning the liquid over the meat until glazed